Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

HURRY UP, COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS

The B.C.S. ratings are out and, for once, I think we can mostly agree that the top two teams are playing for the National championship. The big money boys and high rollers must be rubbing their hands at the bonanza of two of the highest profile colleges fighting it out. Notre Dame and Alabama have the right ring to it: long traditions, star players, reknowned coaches and the Catholics vs. the Confederates!

We are just plain lucky this year. The championship will be a true #1 and #2. (Ohio State players are being unfairly penalized for actions beyond their control and had a great season, but I do believe they are, maybe, #3.)  But I can't wait until we have a proper playoff so that six or eight of the best teams can duke it out.  Of course, everything the N.C.A.A. touches turns not only to gold but to crap, and I hope they don't screw this playoff up in the near future, like 2014.

Why is it that the power organizations manage to tarnish everything they touch? The N.C.A.A. and the N.F.L. deserve each other. I'm not naive enough to believe that these organizations built "for the betterment of the game" are anything but greed machiines intended to extract every ounce of money out of every possible game. Concern for the players---that's a laugh. Of course college presidents rub their hands with glee at the opportunity to get their hands on some of the bowl game loot, while those altruists in the N.F.L. dream up new ways to maximize playing time and pontificate about lessening injuries. Football, college or pro, is now truly big---no, actually mega--- business.

I bitch, but I'll be watching.  But I look forward to those proper playoffs in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I suppose football and corporations are similar. A new CEO comes in and has to increase the bottom line. It also enhances his reputation. The same with football organizations. It's about greed, power, and egos. But that's okay as long as things are kept reasonable. I'm still not understanding exactly how this college football bowl situation unfolds. I think it was Northern Illinois that knocked Oklahoma out of (maybe) a BCS bowl and Sugar Bowl invitation. I'm not knocking it. I think it's good for small colleges, good for the system. Oklahoma was knocked down a notch and is going to the Cotton Bowl. How bad is that, unless you're a coach or there is no bowl available. And that's exactly where small colleges have been heretofore. I'm looking ahead to the play offs. The Catholics and the Confederates, I like that.

    ReplyDelete