Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 23, 2012

NO SIMPLE SOLUTIONS

Mpst of my kids and grandchildren are here for Christmas, as usual.  My wife and I consider them a  blessing,  even if the decibel level of the house increased about 75%. How lucky we are to have them. Imagine how difficult Christmas will be in Newtown CT this year and count your proverbial blessings.

I watched the N.R.A. news conference and their Executive V.P., Wayne LaPierre, who runs the show. The N.R.A. solution was simple---and simplistic: Just put an armed guard in all our schools. I know this can help in places where schools are located in dangerous crime-filled neighborhoods, but I find it difficult to accept this as a panacea for our problems. After we put armed guards in all the schools. do we then put them in every movie theatre and auditorium? Most big sporting events have plenty of security, but should we have armed guard at every football, basketball or baseball game? It just won't solve all the problems. Yes, increase security in dangerous areas, but with more guns we cannot cover every possible contingency to prevent some lunatic from creating mayhem and murder. I don't want to see America become an armed camp.

More thorough psychological screening is still number one in my book. I read where there are gaps and incomplete or missing  information in the F.B.I.'s database.  Start again. Rebuild this database so that the country is covered by thorough investigation of backgrounds to ensure that only the sane and responsible have guns and so that it is a punishable jailtime crime to hide guns or lie about possession.

As I said in an earlier blog, mandate from the Federal government that a panel of experts from N.R.A., police and military, psychologists and sociologists---a true crosssection of people talented enough to confront the problems and come up with some positive plans to decrease arms and keep arms out of the wrong hands.  Nothing is perfect, but surely we can put some good heads to face this dilemma and come up with a course of action.

Anything is better than what we have...




3 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. Hopefully the sooner the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a good starting point, but I don't see the NRA being involved; they only care about selling more guns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trouble is, you can't ignore them.

    ReplyDelete