Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 29, 2012

THE NEWER KID ON THE BLOCK

“I’d rather flunk my Wasserman test
 than read a poem by Edgar Guest.”

                                 Ogden Nash

That is one of my pet lines from Nash, the master of light and satirical verse, as well as a fine lyricist.

I have my own version: I’d rather flunk my Wasserman test---
                                    than shop at WalMart’s best.

I read an article today on AOL online, describing Costco as the Anti-Walmart, and, boy, can I relate to that. I love shopping at Costco. I’ll try to avoid it on Christmas Eve, but the rest of the time, even during crowded tourist season here in sunny Florida, I like the place. The people are helpful and knowledgeable and obviously like their work. At $17.00 an hour, they are much happier campers than the underpaid WalMart crew.

I have a daughter who is happier than a pig in slop shopping at WalMart late at night. I can understand the late at night bit to avoid the crowd, but I just don’t like WalMart.

I don’t like what they have done to the many small retailers they’ve put out of business. I don’t like their predatory buying pressure. I’ve known a few companies and agents who have sold them and, though they love the volume, they don’t love the ever-increasing cost pressure applied by this behemoth of a chain. I don’t like their relationship with their employees, which can only be described as adversarial.

To me, Costco is beating them at their own game and making the process enjoyable to their customers. The only thing I don’t like at Costco is that I spend too much when I go in there. That’s my fault, not Costco’s.

So, carry on with that miracle of retailing, Walmart, if you desire, but give me the new rival, Costco, thank you.

3 comments:

  1. I've never lived where there was a Cosco. I've never shopped at one. I've shopped a Sam's club which is Walmart's. Send me a Cosco, I'll gladly check them out. The alternative to Walmart here is Target, which I also shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I saw first hand what WalMart did to our customers in many small towns. For that alone I've never liked them; the other actions you enumerate just confirm my contempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I avoid Walmart like the plague- I knew I got that from someone! I've developed a recent love affair with Costco and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

    ReplyDelete