Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 27, 2012

POLITICAL MUSINGS IN THE STORMY SEASON

POLITICAL MUSINGS IN THE STORMY SEASON

My wife and I were convinced by our housewatcher/handymen/friends that we should leave our home on Sanibel Island and go across state to our daughter and her family in Indialantic, Florida, near Melbourne, where there would be less tropical storm effects. We were most concerned about possible long-term power losses and my wife's recovery period from surgery. We came over here on Saturday. We have heavy winds and rains  here but less than on the west coast of Florida. I called our housewatcher this morning and found that all was well: lots of storms, water surges and wind causing power outages---but only temporary ones, thank God. I think  we can go home in a couple of days.

The Republicans got lucky and only had to delay their convention one day. I think I can do without the persiflage and bullshit which will emanate from Tampa. Then, next week, in Charlotte NC the Democrats will have their shot , and I'm sure the sound effects and nonsense won't be much better.

I read an article in the local paper here by a guest columnist advocating a third party in American politics----a serious third party, not some wild-eyed revolutionary sect. I know we don't want to become like France, for example, with five or six parties, but maybe the columnist is right that the time is ripe for another serious party. Certainly, there must be a home for moderates who reject the extreme polarization of the far left and far right. We certainly need somehing to break up our gridlock and activate some positive political action in congress.

We also need to revisit the whole matter of out-of-control, amok and disgusting campaign spending and reform of same. The Supreme Court did us no favor by opening the doors, or Pandora's box more accurately, of Super Pacs. that are obscene and unneeded. And, while we're at it, my old favorite---the amount of time wasted in two years of running for President and limiting the time to 3-6 months. Then, for good measure, increase the terms of representatives to four from two years so that we can get more than one year of service out of them. Now it is one to work and one to run for reelection.

It's time for a change, in more ways than one!

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to throw in term limits but I know that's asking too much.

    ReplyDelete