Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 11, 2012

LIKE FREDDY KRUGER…


Here I am, returning, ever so slowly, to the world of blogging. Our family life has been dominated by my wife’s shunt surgery and the still ongoing period of restoration of her health and vitality. She is undergoing therapy to build up her strength with a professional home service therapist coming in three times a week. One of my great and caring daughters has been here and helped so much. .After a week in the hospital, she spent almost three weeks in a lovely and caring rehab facility near our island home. She returned home a week ago, and her progress is slow but steady.

Like a good part of the world, I have watched the Olympics and am delighted with America’s showing, especially the women. What a time of pride for women! I look forward to the closing ceremony and, judging by the musical talent involved, expect it to be better than the opening ceremony, about which I commented in my last blog. My sister-in-law in England sent me an editorial extolling that ceremony and the sensitivity shown in not emphasizing the “empire”aspects and the colonial period, plus emphasizing the new Britain. That’s all well and good, but I would think even the most politically correct-minded could appreciate great moments in British history, emphasizing heroism or key events in British history. Doesn’t some national pride have a part in modern Britain? I guess I’m just an insensitive political philistine…

While I was “away”, so to speak, I think the political climate got even stormier and just plain nasty. I think both parties and both candidates are guilty of dwelling in the gutter. Let’s clean up the acts, guys, and try to return to the three “Ps”: principles, philosophies and programs. I’ve reached the point I don’t want to see more mud slinging and name calling. The whole show turns me off!

The Tea Party, gun enthusiasts with no control, crooked banks, etc., the world is still too much with us. I, in my daydreams, was simply hoping it would just go away or at least quiet down. No way. We still need to learn to converse with each other. We still need to add a large dollop of morality to our business dealing and our political discourse.

Enough sermonizing. I’ve missed all of you.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back. I've missed your perspective. Glad to hear the patient is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you back. I too have missed your pithy discourse, and I hope the patient continues her progress. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete