Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 13, 2012

CHERCHEZ LA FEMME

One of the paramount accomplishments of the London Olympics just completed was the incredible showing of  the American (add Brits, Russians, Chinese and others!) women. Al Michaels commented yesterday that the American women, in terms of gold medals, ranked third in total won. They actually won more gold than the American men. Welcome to the female nation!

As the old Virginia Slims cigarette ads, early feminist supporters, used to say, "You've come a long way, baby!"

It all goes back to 1972 and the enactment of Title IX which enabled colleges to spend money on women's sports and not discriminate against female sports. The floodgates were opened and, forty years later, look what has happened.

I got "liberated" early in my salad days. My wife and I as newlyweds were living in New York---Brooklyn Heights, to be exact---and both of us worked. My wife was a journalist, with experience from her time in England, who had landed a job on the Long Island Star Journal where she ended up as Society Editor, a title she wisely and foresightedly changed to Woman's Page Editor and worked out of Long Island City, about a half hour subway ride from our brownstone apartment. I was an underwear and sportswear "Schlepper" covering the territory of Manhattan Island up the Hudson River to Albany. I worked most of Manhattan by foot, pulling two wheeled enormous sample bags. I was working for one of the jobber/distributors of my family's underwear business gaining valuable sales experience. The jobber, in addition to underwear made by the family business, was also allowed to buy hosiery and sportswear under our label, paying us a royalty for use of the brand name.

The point is, I made $80,00 a week draw, and my dear wife made $85.00. That liberated me early

The point also is, I never felt threatened or disturbed by my wife making more than I and was proud of her success.

So, go, ladies: You've added a lot of stars to your crowns with your magnificent showing in the Olympics. It should be an inspiration to all men!

2 comments: