Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Friday, March 30, 2012

DE GUSTIBUS AND ALL THAT JAZZ

It's been a good week, i must say. My youngest daughter and her two sone, 17 and 14, came over from their home on the east coast of Florida and stayed three nights with us. We ate out three nights in a row, and that was an experience.

I had almost forgotten how growing boys can tuck it away. They would eat the table cloth, if possible. Last night we went to Cheeburger, Cheeburger where I had not been for years. We went late because our island is jammed at the height of the tourist season, and I knew we would have a long wait at such a tourist trap, so we waited until after 8:30 and only had to wait ten minutes. Prior to going to dinner, around 5:30. the boys had light snacks: one had one and a half english muffins, a rice cake and a few Thai egg rolls; the other had the egg rolls plus a large portion of two kinds of ice cream. At Cheeburger Cheeburger they showed admirable restraint and only had the "Serious Cheeseburger", a 3/4-pounder with a host of condiments plus fries and onion rings. One had a strawberry shake and the other two Pepsis. They allowed as how they really could have had their photo taken with bells ringing and a round of applause by eating the one-pounder or maybe going for the crown with the five-pounder. For an old fart I did pretty well, polishing off the "Semi-Serious" half- pounder plus fries and rings.

They also manage to do well at breakfast. One had three slices of my French Toast made with cinnamon and vanilla extract; the other polished off cereal---and then an hour later made a Ramen Noodle soup with eggs. Then they went to lunch and had, with their mother (who is no mean chowhound herself), conch chowder, two dozen oysters, a side of fries and some terriyaki wings. I'm sure they'll stop for a snack on the way home and then be ravisingly hungry for dinner!

I should talk. I remember when my two older brothers and I dominated the Shrove Tuesday Pancake supper and won win. place and show: my middle brother had 32, the oldest 28 and I a measly 21. (We were 15, 13 and 9.) I also remember summer picnics with ny mother on the Ohio River where she would have a large roasting pan of fried chicken, overflowing the top---and she would get two pieces while the three of us devoured the contents as well as a host of side dishes.

Ah, youth, with no waistline and a constant itch to eat. Next come raging hormones!

2 comments:

  1. And yet you maintain your girlish figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it's been a good week. I've got a twelve year old grandson that eats like a hungry adult. He's particular what he eats but when it's something he likes, he chows down big time.

    ReplyDelete