Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 21, 2011

MY MULTI-ETHNIC NEIGHBORHOOD

Every now and then I bring you up-to-date regarding the woodpeckers who inhabit a dead palm next to our house, the best view of which is from the powder room whose window is right next to the palm. Well, there have been some changes made.

A couple of weeks ago we noticed a strange small brown object attached to the right side of the tree, as we view it from the powder room. We could not figure what it was: we even got binoculars, but they were too strong for a tree that close and did not help. Then, a few nights ago, we had friends who are great birders here for dinner, and they looked and determined that this new object is a small screech owl.

Every evening the owl disappears but is back attached to the tree in the morning. Of course, owls are nocturnal and out doing their thing at night. But I had not seen the woodpeckers or even heard them greet me when I go out early to get the paper, so I figured perhaps the owl had scared them away.

Then this morning, as I went out to get the paper, I heard that familiar drumming sound on the roof and looked up to see the pecker, who then greeted me. As I came back up the steps, the woodpecker flew to her nest on the lower portion of the front of the tree, poked around a bit and then went in her hole. Prior to her entering the hole, I stood for a few seconds watching her, and she simply went about her business.

So, I'm happy to report, it's business as usual in the neighborhood---but now we are politically correct with a multi-ethnic dwellong. Ain't democracy great?

And, while I've got your attention, have a wonderful Easter. We will have two daughters and a granddaughter with us, which makes it extra-special. And we hope yours is, too!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. The woodpeckers are back and the neighborhood is back to normal, a sort of He Is Risen happening, in the bird world. Well maybe that's a stretch but I will remember and think of this on Easter morning.

    ReplyDelete