Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 28, 2011

BLOODYMINDNESS AND THE BANK

The Brits have a a wonderful word for stupid obstinacy---bloodymindness or being bloodyminded. I have just finished a wonderful example of same.

I just got off the phone after 23 minutes of dealing with the Collections Department of my bank, the Fifth Third. It seems I owe them $86.84 for a Visa charge. The only time I use this Visa card is to cover overdrafts on my checking account. Some months ago, as those of you who read me regularly may remember, I got hacked and changed to a new bank account. I kept the old one open with a small amount to cover last-minute incidental expenses. What happened was a bill got through to the old account and overdrew it so, whacko, the bank nails me. Then, my own fault, I must have overlooked the bill and got a late charge.

I just received a new bill, marked due 5/9/11 including the late charge, for $86.84, so I decided the expeditious thing to do was to call and pay electronically over the phone. I was told I could do so but then would have to call the credit card division to see if there were more charges. I went around and around with some lady and finally asked for her supervisor, This gentleman then told me I would be charged an additional $17.75 processing fee, plus the $86.84. After a brief stunned silence, I repied,"You mean to tell me that, by trying to do the right thing and pay the bill at once, I'm going to be charged extra?" "Yes,sir," he replied, "that is correct. "Would there be a charge,"I then asked,"if I mailed the payment in?" "No, sir," he answered.

So, I paid the bill by mail, which cost me an extra 44 cents for the stamp rather than pay a service processing charge of $17.75. The bank could have had the money today but now will have to wait at least two or three days before receiving it and then processing it. Of course they would have made more from the fees.

Now that is what I call "bloodyminded". And also greed...

1 comment:

  1. Come on, with all the new rules and regulations they face the banks have to make up the shortfall somehow. I have Fifth Third stock; pay your bills on time you deadbeat.

    ReplyDelete