Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

DAVID VS. DAVID

What a wild and chaotic March Madness we experienced! Who would have thunk it: a number 8 versus a number 11 seed for all the marbles!

My midwestern blood emerged as I rooted for the Butler Bulldogs. My eldest granddaughter will probably write me out of her life, as she is engaged to a guy originally from Connecticut, and she did not approve of my choice. (Come football season, her heart belongs to Ohio State, while her fiance roots for Notre Dame, so all will not be pure bliss and harmony.)

UConn deserved the title, playing unbelievable defense in a title game with the lowest total points in years. it was not David vs. Goliath: it was two Davids duking it out. The iconoclast in me likes to see the mighty toppled and witness two underdogs competing for the title.

I have always been an Ohio State fan, and I was shocked when that great club was upset by Kentucky. I must admit, I am also getting a bit fed up with the hypocrisy of major sports, prime example of which are the Buckeyes and their Godfearing coach, Jim Tressel. UConn, with five talented freshmen, looks like they will be around for awhile. Basketball has so many surprises these days one never knows who is suddenly going to energe from obscurity at the propitious moment to demand attention.

That is the essence of the joy of sports.

3 comments:

  1. The so-called experts are today lamenting the talent level in college basketball, which they claim produced lower seeds playing for the championship and a terrible game. I like the parity; otherwise we would be watching the same 6-7 schools winning it every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! Spread the wealth, comrade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been exiled from my own house if I even mentioned Butler! I would have preferred an Ohio State win though :)

    ReplyDelete