Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 7, 2010

A NEW CAREER FOR GOLDEN OLDIES

My wife and I have been staying in Atlanta with our middle daughter, who is recovering nicely from a hysterectomy. It is important that she not try to do too much immediately, not go up and down stairs too often (which is tricky because she lives in a three-floor townhouse), not bend too much, etc. She is an exercise nut in excellent condition with a resting pulse of 55 beats per minute due to spinning bike classes, so this good health speeds up the recovery process.

My wife and I feel like a hired couple of butler and maid: cooking, cleaning, shopping---all the domestic bit---while the daughter takes it easy and spends most of the time talking on the phone with a myriad of friends and well-wishers. The only bad part of the process is the eternal stairs. As a couple of golden oldies, we quickly discover our knees, feet and arthritis take their toll.

Atlanta is a lovely city with hills and dales and striking scenery, especially with the leaves beginning to turn. Geographically, it is really spread out with an Interstate system that is a necessary evil. Now living on a small island in Florida, we don't do a lot of interstate driving, except for short spurts on I-75 around Fort Myers, Florida, so the maze of interstates and belt systems of Atlanta can be a bir daunting. Rush hour is a real challenge with a host of competitive aggressive drivers jockeying for position on their commutes to work. When I drive, I try to avoid the interstates wherever possible, and my daughter ihas provided me with some pleasant alternate routes.

Just to let you know: if you require a couple for domestic service, my wife and I are available. But we must insist on working on a one-level house! Plus we don't come cheap!

1 comment: