Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Monday, October 12, 2009

THE NOBEL PRIZE: HONOR OR ONUS?

I have mixed feelings about the Nobel Prize awarded to Barack Obama. I am a supporter of our new President, but I think this award adds unnecessary pressure to a job which is already the toughest in the world. I think it is premature in terms of expectations and results.

I understand that the Nobel committee appreciated the direction in which our President was taking us in terms of seeking international cooperation and listening to what other countries are thinking. I believe the committee was also making a political statement intended as a slap at the imperialism of the previous administration. But our new President---it's only been nine months---has not had time to effect some of the changes in thinking and philosophy he has proposed. It gives the Neo-Cons the opportunity to chortle and disparage his accomplishments, a process that has already begun.

It would have been better to have waited and given Barack Obama some time to put his varied international programs into effect. I hope and pray he will be able to do so, as I hope that the Republicans can bring themselves to think of the good of the country with positive programs and a willingness to find a middle ground for cooperation in the varied agenda of urgent needs facing us today.

I want him to have the time to prove he deserves the Nobel prize and has truly earned it. I have every confidence he will prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment