Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 3, 2009

HOME, SWEET HOME

It's nice to be home---in America. Right now my wife and I are visiting family (a daughter and son) who live in Toledo, Ohio. We got back in time to get some really good corn on the cob, thanks to an extended season of perfect weather, the right amount of sun and rain in the proper proportion. Although we live in Florida, I was born in Ohio and still have that innate Midwestern prejudice that Midwesteners are the best: friendly, caring and generous.

Some things never change, it seems: my sports teams are as bad as ever. The Cincinnati Reds are far from a contender for the pennant, although they have ended the season on a relative high and are fighting for fourth place in their division. The Cleveland Browns are hapless, to put it as charitably as possible, and may possibly succeed the Detroit Lions as the worst team in professional football.

Another thing, unfortunately, that has not changed is the political rancor and extremes of opinions , like artillery shells being lobbed between opposing lines. Our President has commented on rudeness and lack of civility, as have I in past blogs. One of these days, we may surprise ourselves and actually hear what the opposing view is, and I hope that inspires the conflicting sides to seek a settlement.

I get annoyed at America and, when I'm in England, I'm exposed to a more international view. (I must admit, they have their share of screamers on the left and right, as well!) But the U.S.A. is still home and I love it, warts and all. Anyway, it's great to be home...

1 comment:

  1. And it's great to have you home. Any location is better for your presence. And that's not sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete