Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

NEW YEAR NOODLING

My wife and I, plus my eldest daughter and husband as well as my wife's sister and husband, celebrated New Year's Eve with venison chili. The deer was shot by my son-in-law, an avid hunter and fisherman. It was delicious. Earlier in the week he cooked filets of venison which were superb, served rare and sauteed with wine and spices.

We all made it home safely shortly after eleven, and my wife and I stayed awake just long enough to see the ball descend in Times Square.I'm sure I was asleep within five minutes after that.

The weather here, relatively speaking, has been cool, down in the forties at night and in the sixties in the day.  You have to remember, we are real wusses after your blood thins out living in a semi-tropical climate! Now today, New Year's Day, it's warming up in the mid seventies.

Speaking of warming up, that's what the Senate finally did last night in creating, as the NY Times described it, a "tepid" compromise bill to avert the so-called fiscal cliff. When and if they ever seriously try to deal with the deficit, ever-mounting entitlement expenses, they will face by 2043 public debt, I read, amounting to 247% of GDP---a lovely prospect for our grandchildren. One day they are going to have to bite the bullet and accept that, in addition to curtailing entitlements and other deficits, they are going to have raise taxes on all of us. Nobody likes more taxes, but give me a better solution than getting expenses in line and raising more money through taxation.

Ah well, forget it for a day. Enjoy your families and the football games forthcoming. Like Scarlett O'Hara, think about that tomorrow.

1 comment: