Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Friday, December 17, 2010

WHERE HAVE ALL THE HEROES GONE?

And another one bites the dust! My childhood idol, the VanMeter Heater, Blazing Bob, Rapid Robert: Bob Feller, age 92, has just died. I worshipped him, had his picture on my wall and followed his every move religiously.

The obituaries have been wonderful: everything from a piece by Ray Suarez on PBS Evening News to a full half page in the NY Times. He was the first major leaguer to enlist after Pearl Harbor and had four years of service with hairy naval combat as a Gunnery battery head on the USN battleship Alabama in both the Atlantic and Pacific. He lost four years out of his prime---and wouldn't have changed a thing. He said the real heroes are the guys who dodn't come back.

In 1940 my dad took me to Yankee Stadium to see my two heroes, Bob Feller and Joe DiMaggio. We sat behind the catcher's net, and we all oohed and aahed at the speed of his fast ball. It couldn't have turned out better: Feller won 2-1, pitched a one-hitter---a home run to Joltin' Joe!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, a hungry nation yearns for you..." And, as far as I'm concerned, you could add to Simon and Garfunkel's lyrics, "A hungry nation mourns for Feller, too."

The heroes of that era are scant today, and we just lost one of the best. I'm sure God will start him on his All-Star Team.

3 comments:

  1. Great comments FPF, to which I will add, A-men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No good men these days. Check out one hero who still clings to the old ways at:

    http://heartoftheeastbay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete