Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 2, 2010

PANDORA'S BOX

Today I read in the New York Times that the F.T.C. is beginning to crack down on internet tracking by recommending a program where consumers would have the right to control, should they choose, to stop advertisers tracking their internet browsing and buying habits. I think this is needed, just as I firmly believe individuals in a free society have certain privacy rights.

I have sounded off before on my reasons for not joining Facebook or other social networks, although I recognize that for some it is a way to stay in touch with or rekindle old friendships. But the invasions of privacy which have occurred on these social networls concern me.

It even bothers me that in almost every news article the age of the person is noted. I realize in certain cases this is necessary, but who gives a damn if a woman cited for a traffic accident is 52. What has that got to do with the accident? I know some of us oldies are a bit sensitive about revealing our ages; personally, I don't care---I'm an old fart of 83, and I readily admit it. But why should a person have his or her age revealed unless vitally needed for medical or security reasons?

This new Age of Information is transformative and has put at our fingertips more information than ever available to the seeker. This can be a boon---and a bane. Individual rights are still an essential part of our democracy and way of life and must be respected. I still want to have the right to control my information within bounds of security or medical reasons. Your computer or laptop can be Pandora's box---don't forget that. You never know what may jump out of that box.

1 comment:

  1. Have never had a security issue related to online activity. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just hasn't so far. I'll admit that usage tracking is creepy.

    ReplyDelete