Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

MIDYEAR SPORTS REFLECTIONS

1. The Armando Galarraga/Jim Joyce saga, though sad, had about as happy an ending as could be expected due to the class of the two principals: Galarraga for his incredibly good sportsmanship and demeanor, Joyce for his prompt confession of an error and apology. I have to admit, even, under the circumstances, Commissioner Bud Selig did the right thing in not reversing the decision, which would have made a mockery of the rules and undermined the authority of umpires. He also agreed to reconsider instant replay, which is desperately needed. In this instantaneous electronic age, I can’t believe that instant replay could not be used without excessive delays to undo such mistakes. Umpires, referees and line judges are still human and prone to honest errors. There is no reason such errors should not be promptly corrected.

2. Rafa Nadal proved at the French Open and the whole clay season that he is King of the Clay and, with Federer approaching 29, old in tennis years, maybe King of Tennis. I still have concerns about his physical health and the stress he puts on his body due to the extreme torque he puts on his body and knees. He is resting more between tournaments and not practicing endless hours as he did before. What a treat to have two champions of such unparalleled talent at the same time!

3. I am impressed: the Cincinnati Reds have not yet folded. They still may, but it looks like they have the makings of a competitive team. The G.M. and owner are doing some long-term thinking, which is great.

4. I would not like to be in Stephen Strasburg’s shoes and the pressure cooker of expectations surrounding him. I hope he lives up to the hyperbolic press notices. We need some new genuine heroes! On second thought, I would like to be Stephen Strasburg and be that young with so much promise ahead of me!

5. Speaking of expectations and the pressure cooker, how about Tiger Woods? I think the stress of his private life---going through what appears to be a quiet but expensive divorce, continuing therapy for his serial sexual problems and the fact that at 34 his body is not indestructible---is taking its toll. As a result, he has not had the competitive rounds he needs to fine-tune his game. I still think, with his immense talent, he will eventually return to form. He may well keep his number one rating, but a host of young guns----not to mention that Mikkelson guy pushing 40---are lining up to take a shot at him.

6. Will they please shut up and just quietly investigate thoroughly, once and for all, the doping scandal in cycling, especially concerning Lance Armstrong. Don’t come back to us until you are satisified you have an objective true decision.

7. I’m still worn out with the N.B.A. Can we please hurry up and end this interminable season?

8. I sincerely hope Ben Roethlisberger keeps his word and reforms. Stay quiet, work hard now that you are back to practice and show that great talent is matched by a rehabilitated character.

9. “ ‘Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished”, in Hamlet’s words, for the U.S.A. to beat England in the first round of the F.I.F.A. world championship in South Africa. I don’t think that will happen, but, hey, remember the hockey team of 1980?

10. The tributes to John Wooden have been heartwarming. That good ole Indiana boy with his Midwestern work ethic and sense of values could make a significant tribute to the betterment of the sporting world---if more sportsmen would follow them. God bless him!


That’ll hold me for now!

2 comments:

  1. A fine column you have written here. You ought to be in newspapers.
    Me commenting on baseball is much akin to my commenting on the domestic affairs of Australia, I don't know enough about them to say anything, even if invited to do so. I do know a little more about basketball than I did before Bob Knight moved out here. I do agree tributes to John Wooden have been many and heart felt.

    You talk golf you're straying off into my back pasture. I'm not an expert but I did play the game for forty years. Then came along the Tiger. There were about three or four golfers I didn't mind taking my hat off to when their name was mentioned, topped out by Jack Nicklaus. Tiger was good for golf. He came along when professional golf needed a boost and Tiger provided it. When his game was on, no one was better. I think Tiger will come back, play well again but it may take a while. He's still got his plate loaded with his divorce and all but he'll be back and when he does he'll have to earn respect but he will again be good for the game. This Phil Mickelson guy, lefty, is my man. I've been pulling for him for years, mainly because he's a good guy and his plate's been loaded for a long time, too.

    A tip of my hat to you, Sir. I enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Tiger doesn't regain his form, the PGA may wither on the vine. I am one of many who only watches when Tiger is in contention.

    ReplyDelete