Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 22, 2010

DON'T SAY I DIDN'T TELL YOU SO...

I read that Facebook and MySpace have been selling personal data to giant advertising companies, including Google’s Doubleclick and Yahoo’s Right Media, among others. Prepare for the unwanted solicitation of the ad world.

In spite of all the ballyhoo---or just plain bullshit---that these two social networks emit about respecting privacy, here are flagrant examples of violating privacy rights.

I have never joined any of these so-called social networks. I once said in an earlier blog that I don’t need 500 new friends, but it was also the idea of the potential danger of information getting in the wrong hands. So I’m a blogger, but I am able to control the flow of personal information I want to release.

One of the personal maxims that I live by is the ironic statement: never let principle get in the way of profit. Unfortunately, much of the world operates in this way and greed usually wins out. It looks like Facebook and MySpace have joined that club.

If you want more details about this, refer to Sam Gustin’s article on AOL News entitled “Facebook Shared Personal Data with Advertisers Without User Consent”.

Caveat emptor! Let the buyer beware!

P.S. Since I wrote this, it has been on national news!

3 comments:

  1. I am on Facebook and I'm really not worried about my personal data. What can they share other than my name, email and gender? My personal info includes my birth date, but not the year, I certainly don't post credit card info or personal financial info, so I'm confused as to the value of what they can sell about me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fine, but some people put a lot more info and personal details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on Facebook, just went on recently after asking numerous times, "What's it good for?" And now after all the hullabaloo about privacy, I see no need to worry. I've recently been in touch with an old friend in Italy and with an instructor at LSU.

    ReplyDelete