Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Monday, September 14, 2009

IN DEFENCE OF SCOTLAND

Periodically, as Americans become enraged at national and international political events, we overreact to these events and do some silly things. Remember, when we were pissed off at the French---I mean really pissed off, because we're frequently mad at the contrary French---how we were going to call French Fries "Freedom" Fries?

Now it's Scotlands's turn. We have every reason to be incensed by the shabby Lockerbie affair in which England is deeply involved (or perhaps buried would be an apter choice of words). The Scots have in their laws a "compassionate" clause as well as no death penalty, so legally they were within their rights to free the bomber. But that does not excuse their bad judgment. They could have put him in a prison hospital in Scotland for his remaining time instead of sending him back to Libya, and nobody would have said a word. But we all know how oil and money and secret governmental deals created that shambles.

But let's say a few good words for the Scots. I admit a prejudice: my wife's maiden name was Scott, with English mother and Scottish father from near Glasgow (who spents most of his life in England). Also, on my mother's side, there's a lot of Scottish blood. In fact, her maiden surname, which is my first name, was Alexander.

Now that I've added this forewarning of my prejudices, let me say I have been to Scotland and know quite a few Scots, and they are usually wonderful people. As with any ethnic group, there are always a fair share of horsesasses, but, on the whole, they are generous---not tight as they are portrayed, just "careful" with their money---humorous and loving folk. Believe me, you would invite them home for dinner.

Now I note that Scottish products are suffering from the Lockerbie backlash. Walker's Shortbread, one of the world's fine cookies (or biscuits, as the Brits call them) and a popular seller in the U.S., is deeply concerned that sales are in danger of falling badly. Harris Tweed, one of the venerable great names in fabrics, is de-emphasizing the Scottish connotations and emphasizing its Hebrides Island heritage.

Well, I want to draw the line right here. If you think I am going to give up my favorite drink, Scotch whisky, you are out of your skull. For some things, a man has to make his stand. Any nation that can create a drink as good as Scotch has to have redeeming qualities.

So, let's not get carried away, America. This too shall pass...

1 comment: