Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Monday, September 21, 2009

BE NICE----PLEASE

I was delighted to see that the President of the United States, in his interviews with the major TV networks on Sunday past, emphasized having civil debate instead of the "rude" (his word) rantings we hear today.

The far right has every right to dissent and disagree, as do all Americans of whatever political persuasions. But why can't honest differences be debated in a rational and civil way? I often say that my age is showing, but one of the major changes I have seen in my long life is the loss of good old-fashioned, just plain civility. Is it really that hard to air differences in a civil way?

O.K., you don't have to love each other, which is hypocritical, but you can certainly exchange your views so that you can hear each other. I am shocked at the total rudeness of so many conflicting opiners who immediately square off in a verbal boxing stance. They're too busy screaming---and never hear the other side! They are too busy listening to their own rantings.
All that is accomplished is a further inflexibility in thinking and locking out honest dissent.

Does it make you a sissy or a wimp to listen to each other? Come on, America, demonstrate a new old idea---"Democracy in Action"---the right to debate, disagree but ultimately work things out.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly think it's too late. The country is splitting apart and I blame the media extremists on both sides. You can listen and/or read them 24/7 and their message is hostile and mean spirited.

    ReplyDelete