Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Monday, March 23, 2009

Sir Teddy Kennedy

My sister-in-law from England linked me with London's Daily Telegraph a few days ago where I read an article excoriating the decision to give honorary knighthood to Senator Teddy Kennedy. I have to agree---not the most judicious choice.



Now, before all the bleeding hearts tear me apart, let me admit, Teddy Kennedy has developed into an effective Senator, true to his liberal principles, some of which I agree with and many I don't. But a powerhouse he has been in the Senate these last thirty years, no question.



Unfortunately, I have a long memory and I can't quite shake off the memory of some forty years ago and the tragedy of Chappaquidick, resulting in the drowning death of a young lady who, as I recall, had been an aide to Teddy and was doing service above and beyond the call of duty with the young stud by partying one summer night at Cape Cod before their auto plunged into the water. Teddy Kennedy did not report the incident until the next morning, which hardly qualifies him for stars in his crown ---or knighthood. If I had been guilty of this criminal negligence, I would probably only now be getting out of prison due to my advanced years.



Also, I think he lent his name and support to all those Boston Irish whose monetary support gave such credence to the I.R.A. and "the troubles", extending unnecessarily that bitter warfare that eventually sickened both north and south in Ireland. I recognize that England, in its shabby treatment of Ireland for over 200 years, has to take its share of blame in creating "the troubles", but the Boston Irish deserve a good share of blame for helping extend this nasty bitter struggle between Catholics and Protestants much too long.



So, let Teddy garner his shares of kudos here for long service, but don't ask me to call him "Sir Teddy". As the Brits are wont to say, that's a bit "O.T.T."!




3 comments:

  1. They say time heals all wounds. In your case, apparently not. And not being a British subject, his title is honorary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's just honorary and I recognize that he is not "the boy of summer" of '69, but that incident was an injustice, never righted. I suppose he has to live with that nightmare memory, so that is some consolatiob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're correct. Money and power outweighed justice. But I believe his good works since have afforded him some measure of redemption. I'd like to hear from Mary Jo's family.

    ReplyDelete