Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN

For the first time in my long life (excluding when I was three and had tonsils removed), I have had my body invaded by surgery. I really have been extremely lucky. Yesterday, at an outpatient hospital in Naples, Florida, a plastic surgeon removed a melanoma from my left upper arm. They put me in modified "lala land" in the twilight zone where I was semi-conscious but felt nothing (except a few staples going in toward the end).

I'm a bit sore today but still able to type. They gave me some really potent pain pills, but I'm pleased to say I have not taken one but only had a couple of Tylenols. The doctor felt sure he got it all but will send tissue to pathology to make sure.

I was pleased and gratified to find that caring doctors and nurses still exist, and I was really impressed by the care I got in my few hours in this outpatient surgical center. Every nurse, anethesiologist and surgeon were warm and solicitous. Maybe I was lucky, but I came away impressed.

I go to the surgeon tomorrow to check the incision and redress the arm. I've had a lot of phone calls from friends and family---and, best if all, I had a lot of prayers said for me. I expect to be full of piss and vinegar and sassy as ever.

On Sunday I am singing in church for Memorial Day "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", backed by ten men singing the chorus. All of you, pray I don't croak like a frog!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you came through with flying colors. Hoping to hear a clean bill of health after tomorrow's check-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was no more problem than it was, thank goodness. And to know you sing, in church, in front of all those people. And the Battle Hymn of the Republic no less. Wow! I have confidence you'll do fine. Anyone who puts himself in a position where failure is a distinct possibility, you can bet the probabilities are it won't happen. The voice and the presentation are too good and practice has honed it to a sure thing. Congratulations on having a fine voice.

    ReplyDelete