Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Monday, September 26, 2011

A LETTER TO ASHLEE

(This letter is addressed to my first grandchild who will be a bride on October 1.)


Ashlee dear:

This can't be right---wasn't it the day before yesterday at St. John's Hospital in Toledo that I sat next to your mother's bed and held you? Your grandmother and I were almost as happy as your mother at contempating the first grandchild. And you were beautiful. Some things never change.

And wasn't it yesterday that I watched you pitch softball or set up your teammates on the volleyball team? And saw you graduate with high honors?

And it was just a few hours ago that we drove from your Central Florida campus (with you doing most of the driving) for Thanksgiving at your aunt's home on the east coast of Florida, wasn't it? And calling each other when Ohio State beat Michigan?

And here we are, back in time reality, looking forward to your marriage to a very good guy in Myrtle Beach SC on October 1.

I've never felt so old in my life at the prospect of my first grandchild getting married. But, I have to say, it's a nice old, like good wine and whiskey improving with age.

I like the way you turned out. You are very bright, brighter than you give yourself credit for and you are doing good things in your life. I think your value system is also in the right place. You deserve a good marriage and a good life. I was lucky enough to have one---and you should, too.

You came out of a strong background in your parents and that certainly shaped your character. And you, along with your delightful sister, have appreciated a loving and caring (they are not always the same) family.

I guess the point of what I'm saying is, i'm awfully proud of you and love you very much. I wish you and Tim a lifetime of the best. By the way, one of these days, make me a great-grandfather while you're at it!

Much love,

GooGoo

P.S. And thanks for giving me that ridiculous nickname for grandfather, which I'm stuck with (and learned to like)!

1 comment: