Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 18, 2011

A NEW DYNASTY

Two years ago, I wrote a blog, extolling my new appreciation of Cricket. Since that time I have come to like it even more. I’m still a baseball fan, which some of you out there compare to watching grass grow in terms of excitement---but I don’t agree. Cricket is even more leisurely in pace, but, when the action gets underway, it’s plenty exciting and artful.

What makes it so interesting today is that England is entering into a dynastic period. England is playing India, previously the #1 team in the world, and has murdered them in three successive test matches, really routs, and is now ranked first in the world. All the sports writers and ex-players/commentators are saying it will continue this way for years to come. They are suddenly blessed with the maturation of young talent with a host of young players waiting in the wings for their chance to play for England. It’s rather like the Yankee dynasty in the forties and fifties or the nineties when nobody could handle them on a regular basis as new talent took over from old talent.

The major reason for England’s revival is a new emphasis on physical conditioning, plus intense analysis and practice in the arts of the game. In addition, County (remember here, a county is like a state) Cricket is similar to the minor league or a farm system where players have the opportunity to develop their skills. All the modern trappings of sport, like sports psychologists, trainers, masseurs, high speed photography---all the scientific and esoteric voodoo---are being utilized and turning Cricket into serious business.

The result is an Augustan Age where England is expected to dominate for many years to come. Many critics think that this current squad is arguable the best ever, matching or possibly exceeding the great Australian teams of the past. The Aussies have dominated the game over longer periods of time than anyone, but right now they are mediocre.

So, even if you aren’t an aficionado of the game of Cricket, it is still fun to witness the cream that has risen to the top. Supreme talent in any sport is fun to be a part of and to watch.

I am getting my kicks. I say, old boy, isn’t it brilliant? But I still check the baseball box scores daily…

2 comments:

  1. Cricket? Get on a plane and get the Hell out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did take the liberty of Goggling Cricket to see what sort of game cricket is and to see the stick and ball. They called it a bat but to me it appears to be a mere stick. I don't know where all those eleven people are positioned on the field, but excuse me, if my first thoughts were, 'if a baseball fan likes this game, you can bet good money I won't like it.'

    I tend to want to agree with Grumpy. If too much of this stuff starts rubbing off on you, there just no telling where you could wind up. I think I'd come home pretty quick. It could bee dangerous.

    ReplyDelete