Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Friday, July 29, 2011

MY NETWORK UNSOCIABILITY

If you have read my blog for any length of time, you are bound to be aware that I am not a fan of the social networks and refuse to join them. I get all kinds of “come-ons” on the net, imploring me to open their emails , such as I have three classmates from school just this month enquiring about me, or that I have been tagged for such and such’s birthday. I’m sorry, I know I am probably missing out on golden opportunities to expand my personal network, but, frankly, I don’t give a rats ass. I’ll just go on being an old misanthrope who likes the friends he got the old-fashioned way, even if many of them in my age bracket are gone now.

The potential and actual intrusions you frequently hear about always bother me. For example, I read in the newspaper of a case of a young woman in England, selected and serving on a jury, who then tried to contact the defendant on the internet. That’s just plain stupid. I’m sure British courts are similar to ours, since our legal system was based on Britain’s, and insist on never communicating with the defendant in view of the need for total impartiality and objectivity. This dingbat tried to contact the defendant on Facebook. It comes as no surprise that she is in a heap of trouble.

A whole litany of potential problems has been associated with social networks and the invasion of privacy. Now I don’t blame Facebook for this young woman’s stupidity or impulsive action, to be more charitable, but it is part of the danger which can occur with those who become almost addicted to the social network. I don’t like the potential problems and, especially, the loss of privacy. I know, you are supposed to be able to decide what you want known and enter only data you choose, but I think too many, like this British young woman, live on their social network and consider it an essential part of life and never consider the potential pitfalls.

That’s what I like about a blog . I can keep my anonymity, if I choose, and still write about things that concern me or experiences I’ve had. I probably don’t have a wide following, but I don’t really care, except to hear from those I care about or other bloggers I’ve come to appreciate.

Sometimes it’s fun being a misanthropic old fart.

2 comments:

  1. Understand completely. I went on Facebook a year or so ago at the insistence of friends. What I found was a bunch of likes about things I knew nothing and cared less about. I closed out and haven't been back.

    So far as my blog is concerned, I have alienated half of my family with my political views and half of my wife's family with my religious views, now I suppose I have thrown caution to the wind. From time to time I try to alienate everybody or so my wife tells me. But, like you say, sometime it is fun to say what's on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a cantankerous old fart. I am on Facebook and enjoy the interaction and byplay. Like anything else, it's what you make of it; you can participate as much or as little as you like. And you can ignore the really obnoxious people.

    ReplyDelete