Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 20, 2011

THE MINE FIELD OF LIFE

I often feel when I describe my political philosophy as a moderate that, to many minds of the polar extremes of right and left, I must sound like a wimp. I had one extreme right-wing friend, in the heat of a debate, tell me I was gutless, afraid to take a position one way or the other. This is a frequent admonition of extreme thinkers who only see black and white and no shades of grey or can brook no deviation from their political positions.

I have always admitted we need these extremes of both political poles. What they frequently succeed in doing is opening up the field for discussion, for analysis and the opportunity to seek solutions, frequently in compromise, that dreaded word which conjures up images of surrender to the extremists. Yet, miracle of miracles, that is how most political change comes about, the result of people hashing out differences and finding a workable if imperfect solution to problems.

I have often, as well, used the phrase that I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. This phrase really drives the extremists to the edge of madness. How the hell can you be liberal and conservative at the same time? That’s a contradiction in terms. Not really. To me it is possible to believe, for example, that certain area of social responsibility should be directed by the federal government, such as educational standards, health care and social entitlements, which are of national interest, but that they should also be run efficiently and judiciously---not wastefully. In this connection, if local government can do certain programs better than a national agency, so be it. If this be a contradiction in terms, then I am a contradicter and contrarian in my life beliefs!

I earned my living in the field of business or commerce, if you will. I believe in the free market system and that entrepreneurial success should be rewarded. But I also believe that greed is a frequent companion to success and that many can never have that greed satiated. Enough is not a word in many business lexicons. If it were, would we have the economic problems of today and the worst recession since the big one in ’29? It’s that old question: how much is enough? There seems to be no limit sometimes.

This world is exploding in many ways: new nations, new search for democratic freedom, new demands for social betterment and justice---and some new menaces in religious and economic extremism. If you don’t keep your sense of balance and the ability to adopt to new ideas, you can take a hard and dangerous fall.

This old moderate will still seek to find the workable way through this puzzle we call life, treading carefully through a changing and dangerous world.

2 comments:

  1. A thoughtful commentary to which I wholeheartedly subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think most Americans are moderates, the extremes on either side just get all the attention.

    ReplyDelete