Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Monday, October 18, 2010

A SPORTS COMMENTARY UPDATE

Well, sports fan, it's been awhile since I commented on the sports scene, so here goes:

(1) My Buckeyes got a real butt kicking from Wisconsin---and deservedly so. It goes without saying, when you're number one, everyone is up for you, but great teams still surmount that problem. Ohio State just wasn't ready. Mr. Pryor and the boys better get back to fundamentals.

(2) Big Ben made a fantastic debut after all the hullabaloo and had a fine game. I don't need to comment further because my old friend Grumpy will probably devote the next week or more of blogs to the Steelers' success and Big Ben's redemption in their win over my hapless Browns. At least, in time, we Brownies may have a quarterback in Colt McCoy.

(3) I know Boise State is good---but that good?

(4) I'm still wearing a black armband for my Cincinnati Reds. Actually pitching with an average E.R.A. of 2.5 for the series was not bad, but the Phillies' arms were just too much (1.33.ERA). Especially Roy Halliday!

(5) Bold prediction: the Phillies will beat the Yankees in the World Series, assuming they get by that Giant pitching.

(6) My heart went out to Hunter Mahan and his grieving tears when he lost the deciding match of the Ryder Cup. a close-but-no-cigar rally by the Americans. Parity has also struck golf.

(7) Tiger Woods at least showed he was alive in the Ryder Cup, but he still has a long way to go psychologically, plus I think he needs the steadying influence of a swing coach.

(8) The young lions are beginning to come on in tennis to challenge Rafa Nadal, and Roger Federer's best moments are behind him. He still, on a given day, can play tough, but the depth of young talent is impressive.

(9) Watch out for Juan Del Potro, the Argentine 2009 U.S. Open Tennis Champion who missed this year due to wrist surgery but is about ready to come back---a real talent there and 6'7", to boot. Also watch our two young giants, John Isner (6'9") and Sam Querrey (6'7").

(10) I'm still fed up with King James (LeBron, of course!) and his bullshit ego. I wonder how the Miami Heat will deal with three primadonnas.

That's a wrap, sports fans!

3 comments:

  1. Colt McCoy played much better than I thought he would. I would just start him and build around him.

    The Heat may be the most hated team in sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and there is a reason Colt McCoy dropped to the third round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the sixties, early seventies, there was a character on the radio in my part of the country, called coach Arturf or something like that. Coach Arturf never won many games. I only remember two he won, one each in football and basketball. He coached both. The coach was a spoof on coaches explaining why and how come they lost a game. It was a funny radio show and meant to be. Your update reminded me of coach Arturf. Texas Tech's new football coach, the one that replaced our winning coach and the one Tech beat out of $80,000 and fired him the day before it was payable, reminds of coach Arturf. He's beginning to sound a whole lot like Arturf with good cause. This comment is in no way a knock on your sports commentary. I'm very much a generalist and my knowledge and my comments seldom do when going from the general to the specific get to anything smaller that the team concept. Players are beyond my scope.

    ReplyDelete