Pick your tune, then read

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

THE DEATH OF A LION

If you had asked me forty, even thirty, years ago, I never thought I would be writing a eulogy for Teddy Kennedy whose death at 77 marks the end of an incredible span of almost half a century---47 years, to be precise---in the U.S. Senate.

No one was quicker than I to condemn his actions at Chappaquiddick and the resulting tragic death of Mary Jo Kopechne by drowning. I also remember his tempestuous marriage to Joan Kennedy in what seemed to be an eternal gossip page scandal of drinking and debauchery. In fact, I wrote a blog back in March against his being knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.

I did not always agree with him politically, but you cannot dispute his steadfast devotion to the causes of the underprivileged and, in particular, his efforts for the cause of Civil Rights. He was a consistent champion of the poor and neglected and represented a powerful voice for the conscience of America.

He is an example of the true meaning of the word "redemption"---a man who turned his life around, overcame his stormy past and became a powerful and effective political voice.

The lion of the Senate is gone and he will be missed. Requiescat in pace.





T

1 comment: